Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What'll I Do Now?

"You have DCIS - Ductal Carcinoma Insitu in the right breast and a spot in the left breast, but we're not concerned about that. We'll just check it in six months. You'll need to meet with the oncologist to discuss appropriate treatment."
As soon as I heard the word cancer associated with DCIS, my body felt as though it was going to explode. My eyes focused on the floor as they filled with tears. I couldn't hear much of what was being said. Fortunately, my friend Maryellen was with me when I received the news. She asked all the questions I would normally ask because I couldn't even think straight, although, my mind was filled with numerous random thoughts. Death, my daughters, my father and sister, my job, my recently begun relationship, my LIFE! What would happen now? How would I function? How serious was this?




1 comment:

  1. I am positive that a lot of people can benefit from reading the stories of your experiences, so keep telling them. So many people are going through what you went through, and they're confused and wondering if anyone out there could possibly understand. Once they find this blog, they'll realize they're not alone.
    Should I go as far as to say that each person has an "obligation" to share their experiences and lessons? Maybe not, but I feel that the worst thing a person can do is to keep secret something that could really help someone else. Your experiences, while not positive for you, can serve as precious lessons for someone else. So these stories that you tell can be one of the ways in which you give something back to the world. I'm sure that as you continue to share these experiences, the response you receive from people and the community that you create will more than convince you that it was worth the time and effort to put it all together.

    ReplyDelete